Legal dramas have always been a popular genre within the entertainment industry. From movies to TV shows, there is something about the world of law that keeps us on the edge of our seats. These dramas offer suspense, intrigue and often times unexpected plot twists that leave us questioning everything we thought we knew.
Some legal dramas have become iconic over the years while others have only recently gained popularity. Here are just a few of the most captivating legal dramas that have captured our attention:
1. The Good Wife: This drama follows the story of Alicia Florrick, a wife and mother who becomes a lawyer after her husband, a prominent politician, is caught in a scandal. The show explores the world of politics, law and family dynamics as Alicia navigates her new career while balancing her personal life. With incredible performances from Julianna Margulies and a star-studded cast, The Good Wife captivated audiences for seven seasons.
2. Suits: This series follows a talented legal associate, Mike Ross, who is hired by a successful lawyer despite lacking a law degree. The show explores the power dynamics between elite law firms and the lengths people will go to succeed in the legal world. Suits ran for nine seasons and made stars out of its leads, Gabriel Macht and Patrick J. Adams.
3. Better Call Saul: A spin-off of the critically acclaimed Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul follows the life of Jimmy McGill, a con artist turned lawyer. The show explores the transition from Jimmy to infamous criminal lawyer, Saul Goodman, and the complex relationships he has with those around him. With the same level of suspense and intrigue as its predecessor, Better Call Saul is a must-watch for fans of the legal genre.
4. Law and Order: Special Victims Unit: This long-running series focuses on the personal and professional lives of the detectives in the Special Victims Unit of the New York City Police Department. The show delves into the criminal justice system, including the prosecution of sex crimes, while also exploring the personal lives of the detectives working on these cases. Law and Order: SVU is one of the longest-running primetime dramas and has tackled some of the most controversial and provocative topics in recent years.
5. How to Get Away with Murder: This show follows the life of Annalise Keating, a criminal defense attorney and law professor, and her students as they navigate the dark world of law and murder. The show is filled with twists and turns that keep viewers guessing until the very end. With powerful performances from Viola Davis and an ensemble cast, How to Get Away with Murder is a staple in the legal drama genre.
There is something captivating about the world of law that keeps us on the edge of our seats. Whether we are watching the downfall of a politician or the inner workings of a criminal defense attorney’s office, these dramas offer us a glimpse into the complexities of the legal system. From The Good Wife to How to Get Away with Murder, the legal drama genre continues to captivate audiences with its suspense, intrigue and unexpected plot twists.